Thursday, July 25, 2013

I Am...Ready?

I am ready!

Ready for football to start, ready to lose weight, ready to stop yelling, ready to start a new school year, ready to be a productive wife, ready to be a committed prayer warrior, ready to chase after our amazing God, ready to get organized, ready to...

My list could go on and on. What scares me about that is one thing, A Big Thing....  If I am ready for so much change, what does that say about my trust in who Jesus has made me currently?  Am I really so unhappy with so many things that I must completely change? It is really simple actually, yet the hardest challenge I have ever been faced with.  In order to truly find comfort in all of these areas (that I guess I really am not happy with), I must find how I can glorify God through each and every one of them.  That is the problem in these areas. I have wanted to do these things well for myself, not God. 

So, it is ok to be ready for change, even big and numerous changes.  As long as I am making changes to glorify our amazing God and chase closer to Christ.  That really is what I am wanting to do...Chase after Jesus!  I want people to see Him in my actions, not me.  I want to live FOR Him, not for me (or others for that matter).  I want Him, not me!

Romans 12: 1-2 says, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God - this is your true and proper worship.  Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will."

This is a HUGE request! "Offer your bodies as a living sacrifice" What I have been saying to God through my actions recently is honestly a flat out No! I want to do what God asks, I fear Him and love Him so much that my desire is to follow and offer myself to him, but if I really look at recent thoughts vs. actions I am consumed with myself and not of God.  I am thinking that I should be reading in the Bible, praying, doing devotions, journaling, working out, cleaning my house, taking time with my kids, etc.  I have the intentions, but the actions have not followed.  I WANT to offer my body as a living sacrifice, but then that pesky thing gets in the way...ME!

I am ready to "be transformed by the renewing of your mind." I really am! It is 7:46 am and I am out of bed.  So...God had to bring noisy roofers to my house to bang away and force me out, but I am up and moving!  I am starting my day with Him (and coffee of course).  I am thankful for this morning!  The test for me will be tomorrow when the roofers are not here and I have a choice to make!  What transformation do I really want? I can sit around and feel sorry for myself that I didn't get things done the way I wanted to (conform to the pattern of this world) OR I can take action and allow Jesus to give me the strength to get done what I need to in a day!

I have to be careful however.  Before I take action, I need to ensure that my actions are to glorify God and not for others to look at me and think that I have it all together.  I am not to do this for others (which is REALLY hard for me not to do), but I must do all of these things as a living sacrifice for Jesus!

It's like shaving my legs. I have the tools, the strength, and the ability to shave.  But do I always use them, no.  I have seasons when I shave more than others.  Once I do shave I now have options.  Do I just shave to my knees and wear capris today? Do I shave just above the knee and wear shorts? Do I care about the back of my legs? Knees are a pain so do I just take a few swipes there and pretend I missed or do I look from every angle so the light shines just right on them and I can assure I got every last hair.  One option I struggle with, do I shave my feet and toes? Some people do and some don't.  What is the "right" thing to do? Does it really matter? Who am I shaving for?

I know I am not the only one who thinks this hard about the simple task of shaving. I also know that I am not the only one who thinks so hard about chasing after Jesus and then does the minimum.  Do I jump in all the way or just a little? Do I care about the minor details or just the big stuff?  Am I praying in "seasons" or daily?

Now don't get me wrong, I find shaving far less amazing as spending time with our gracious Lord, but I do believe a simple task like this can give us a clear understanding to the choices we have in big stuff.  Folding clothes and putting them away would be another stumbling block for me.  My intentions are there, but the action isn't. 

So through all of this icky stuff, I am ready!  I AM ready to change.  I AM ready for God! I AM ready to worship every moment of every day!  Will I stumble? Well, do I shave my legs every day? Yes I will stumble.  And sometimes it will hurt!  But I can be reassured that God will be there to light the way, pick me up again, and love me unconditionally. 

John 8:12 says, "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

So I am ready to shine the light for the GREAT I AM!  Here is what I need for you to do.  Push me!  Remind me!  Ask me questions! I am ready for life to take hold and to be transformed by renewing my mind, but I also know that I need accountability to do that.  I will be seeking that accountability through Jesus, but a little nudge from friends may be how Jesus shines his light on me to keep me focused and ready. 

I am ready!  Let's do this!




No comments:

Post a Comment